Strategy and 2011 strategic achievements
GrainCorp’s mission, vision and strategy were presented to our shareholders in 2011.
- Mission: An international agribusiness creating value by connecting consumers to growers along the grain chain.
- Vision: Grow as our grain customers’ preferred partner, driven by our passionate people and assets around the world.
The company’s competitive advantage rests with its capabilities and infrastructure along the grain supply chain as well as its international presence, with around 50 percent of our grain sales and 90 percent of our malt sales sold within Australia or to countries outside of Australia.
GrainCorp is focused on implementing five strategic themes to meet its three corporate objectives (i) improve shareholder return, (ii) manage earnings variability, and (iii) grow as an international agribusiness. Strategic themes and achievements in 2011 include:
1. Maintain a strong market presence - a leading grain supply chain service (Storage & Logistics)
- Received and segregated a record 14.9 million tonnes of grain.
- Launched GrainTransact (integrated inventory management system).
- Managed more than 5 million tonnes of rail and 3 million tonnes of road transport.
- Increased container packing activity to 400,000 tonnes.
2. Operate along the grain chain - be an “end to end” supplier of grain (Marketing)
- Achieved 2.7 million tonnes of export sales, representing 33 percent of GrainCorp export elevations.
- Made 65 percent of grain purchases direct from growers and >90 percent of grain sales direct to end consumers.
- Opened New European Marketing office in Hamburg, Germany.
3. Increase activity in grain processing broader and competitive malt offering (Malt) and opportunities in flour (Allied)
- Added 300,000 tonnes of malt production capacity through acquisition and organic growth.
- Acquired additional Canadian grain elevator by Canada Malting Company.
- Grew Allied Mills bakery products including parbake products such as Artisan bread.
4. Grow as an international agribusiness organic and acquisitions (GrainCorp)
- Offshore grain and malt sales higher to 50 percent and >90 percent respectively.
- Opened European Marketing office in Hamburg and acquired Schill Malz to grow European presence.
- Leverage Malt to increase activity in Canadian grain market.
5. Build supporting capabilities - capital and organisation model (GrainCorp)
- Decentralised organisation model being implemented.
- Key executive appointments and increased employee engagement results