FeedSafe® aims to increase commitment among the Australian stock feed industry to quality assurance and risk mitigation in the manufacture and use of animal feeds.
FeedSafe® Accredited - a HACCP based QA accreditation program)
The Stock Feed Manufacturers' Council of Australia (SFMCA) operates FeedSafe® as the Quality Assurance Accreditation Program for the Australian stock feed industry. All full (active manufacturer) members of the SFMCA are be required to comply with FeedSafe® to retain membership.
FeedSafe® is a Code of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), which has been developed in conjunction with the Chief Veterinary Officers in each State, and the final document has Primary Industries Ministerial Council endorsement.
FeedSafe® requires feed manufacturers to meet minimum standards in relation to:
- Premises and mill buildings
- Personnel training and qualifications
- Plant and equipment
- Raw material sourcing and purchasing
- Raw material quality and storage
- Feed formulation and manufacturing
- Product labelling
- Loading, transport and delivery
- Product inspection, sampling and testing
- Customer complaint investigation
To obtain FeedSafe® accreditation, feed manufacturers are required to undergo an annual site audit. These are conducted by independent third party auditors. Feed manufacturers are required to implement HACCP as part of their accreditation.